31 May 2007

End of second year

My second year in the programme of psychology is almost over.
The year has been, well, there is a lot to say about it. It started with the symbolic interactionism, all I remember from that was, Mead and his “I, ME, YOU.”
This was also the start of our class reputation as a very problematic and criticising class. Writing letters to the principal, about the “scandal-professor” who said that, small children do not need neutral toys or clothes, meaning girls should play with dolls and boy with cars because small children are in need of straight answers of gender roles.
Though he had some problems with expressing himself at lectures, he sometimes used words as “primitive” and made my classmates explode, I really felt sorry for this poor professor when we had a seminar, discussing a chapter in his book, one of my classmates said “this book is completely useless”.
Then we had the family and ethnicity course with Mirzet, a professor in sociology, who immigrated to Sweden during the war. During this course, I think I had more to say than anyone else had, but do you know what I did? I shut up instead, because this course was very special and emotional. It was about me, about my past, about processes during my life, and processes that were still going on. I found myself having a problem discussing these things objective. I couldn’t step out of the role being this person from another ethnicity to be the student who reflects over it objectively, so I was quiet.
And my class, they were at the war flied still with professors, from what I had heard from Mirzet, the professors from the Sociology Institute actually had a meeting, discussing our class and how to conduct themselves to us.
Then was the course in cognitive psychology, I didn’t think I would pass, but I did.
Then was the course in biological psychology, I was sure I wouldn’t pass, but I did.
And now were at the end of a course in personality psychology, and if I pass I feel like I’m not worth it. But I still hope I do.

2 comments:

Emre Kızılkaya said...

Well done, Marizela! Keep up the good work in your third year as well:)

kathryn merteuil said...

THANKS :)