01 May 2007

First of May

For me known as a red day, where everything is closed, I also know it as always being a very hot day. Then there are these demonstrations, fun to watch sometimes, and the speeches, they are like the lottery, most of the time it’s a blank.
The funny thing is that the day before first of May, that is 30 of April, is also a day we celebrate in Sweden. But this day is not known as a red day where everything is closed. There are no demonstrations or speeches, but there is choral singing. Unfortunately this day is known as the day people in Sweden drink the most. And that is many younger too, living in a small town before Gothenburg, I remember that every year there was some kid who passed out, and the ambulances and police everywhere.
I worked yesterday and we have this Englishman coming to the pub often. He can go on about anything for hours, and yesterday he said to me, “What the fuck is wrong with this country, they have so strict laws about alcohol and yet their younger teens are out drinking their head off.” And that is true, not that I think the laws should change, but this day, 30 of April is something that needs to be reformed. It has become a tradition for younger teens to get so drunk that they even don’t know their own name.
That’s why I called my younger brother five times during three hours. And then I got myself drunk.
And that's why I today can't but should write about this very important day, I'm sorry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valborg för mig är gnisslande rostiga karuseller på Gölkärret ;) Blev fruktansvärt besviken när jag inte fick se en enda brasa igår heller..

Emre Kızılkaya said...

This May 1st was violent here. Probably the only May 1st event that relived the spirit of 1968. http://euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=419853&lng=1

Anonymous said...

If Liverpool win tonight (looks like we might) I'm going down the pub and getting wankered tonite.

COME ON BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS!!!

kathryn merteuil said...

martin
äh, du kan väl göra en egen brasa, skit i brasan vafan :)

emre
unfortunately i couldnt read that, they seem to have replaced it.

nigro
long time no see, where ya at?

Anonymous said...

I'm at home, still coming to terms that we're thru to the Champions League Final.

מה נישמה?

מה שלומך?